Thursday, December 03, 2009

Thanksgiving 2009

This Thanksgiving, we had our family meal at my folk's house in Janesville. Besides my family and my parents, we were also joined by my Aunt Carolyn, Uncle Darrell and my cousin Sean (from Omaha). Andy and I wanted to do most of the cooking for the meal and wanted to try something different this year. We wanted a non-traditional meal. After tossing around ideas such as Chinese stir fry, crab rangoons, enchiladas, tacos, curry, and arabic foods....it finally dawned on us to try making a meal that reflected our heritage - German! We tried quite a few new recipes I found online and it all turned out pretty good.
Rowan was a very good helper and offered to wash dishes while we were cooking in the kitchen. When that batch was done, she took off her apron. Aunt Carolyn said she would set it aside so Rowan knew where to find it if she washed more dishes later. Rowan replied, "No, I'm done washing dishes."


We got the dishes and food on the table for a 3 o'clock meal. Both kids were very hungry and Harvey was tired. He normally naps about this time.
From top to bottom: Sweet and sour green beans with bacon crumbles, German potato salad, Spatzel with paprika chicken, home made saurkraut, applesauce, and pork loin roast with yam stuffed granny smith apples.

It all looked so good, but poor Ursula didn't get to eat it.

Here is the apple strudel I made.
Whoops! I forgot to drizzle the glaze on it.

Rowan did a good job eating her meal and she got a small slice of chocolate peanut butter pie. I think that pie was the only non-German dish served.
I'm very thankful we were able to share time with our family. I am also grateful that the foods I made turned out tasty!

No comments: