Wednesday, June 24, 2009

More Hot Days

This week, we have been having some pretty hot days. With temps in the mid 90's and high humidity, our area now has a heat advisory. So we pulled out the pool and let the kids play a little bit in the water to cool down. This was Ursula's very first introduction to the pool.
She decided that it wasn't what she wanted at the moment
so we had to pull her out.

She would much rather just watch the other two play in the water.

This is her first little dip before she got mad (sorry it's out of order).


Rowan and Harvey enjoy scooping up the water and watching
it fall onto the deck.


Rowan also likes to dump the water on Harvey's head.

The kids watch as Andy shoots Maverick with the super soaker.

(Ursula is enjoying being held by mom.)

The next day, Janea and the kids visited a fellow church member's home. She had an in ground pool and invited us to swim with her. Sorry we didn't get any photos, but I'll try to explain the experience the best I can.
Since it was a week day, I had to go alone with the kids. But Carleen (the homeowner with the pool) was there to help me. Carleen is a retired school teacher that used to work with developmentally disabled children in the high school. I have seen her a few times when I take Rowan to speech therapy. Since she retired, Carleen substitutes for another teacher there.
But I digress... Rowan took to Carleen right away. Carleen is a very nice lady and it really just kind of shows on her face too. In the span of 2 hours, Carleen got Rowan to graduate from standing timidly on the pool steps to relaxing in her arms to jumping from the steps and finally jumping off the side of the pool. Rowan is now at the age where she wants to do everything herself and that helped her find the courage to progress.
Harvey wasn't as confident in the water. I put him in a self-floating apparatus, and he freaked out. So I held him on my side and bounced in the water with him. He wasn't too sure about it, but at least stopped crying when in my arms. One funny thing to note was that anytime Harvey wanted a foam noodle, he would let go of me and reach for it with both hands. So when he wanted the noodle, he was comfortable with letting go.
But other than that, he was super clingy.
Little miss Ursula was in her car seat for most of the time. When she woke up, we found that she must have been a little warm. I didn't plan on Ursula swimming with us, but decided to take her into the pool too. She didn't have a swimsuit or a swim diaper, but Carlene said it was fine for her to wear a regular diaper and her one-piece sleeveless outfit. I took Ursula and she still cried when she got into the water. I wasn't sure if she plain didn't like it (since in the photos above she didn't like the pool). Luckily, I brought my solarveil baby sling with me and that can be used in the water. I put that on and put Ursula in it. This way she probably felt more secure. And I could use the tail of the sling to drape over her head and keep the sun's rays from damaging her delicate little head. She started to calm when I bounced up and down and then seemed to enjoy, or at least tolerate, the water.
I think Rowan could have stayed in the pool all day, but when Harvey started to lounge on the grass, we knew it was time to pack up and head home. It was past Harvey's nap time anyhow.
I'm so thankful to Carlene for letting us swim in her awesome back yard pool, I didn't even mind the cottonwood fuzzies that were floating down into the pool. The coolness of the water felt so good. We were invited to use the pool anytime that it gets hot. So if we ever go back, we will try to take some pictures to share.

No comments: